Visa is a permit to enter, stay, and leave the territory of the Czech Republic or the Schengen area, provided that the terms and conditions stipulated by the Czech law and/or the European Community laws have been met. All applicants must meet all the required conditions to be granted a visa. Every alien requiring a visa travelling with an individual travel document must possess his/her own visa.

Visa is issued into a passport (travel document) of a foreigner in a form of a visa sticker. Every applicant, incl. a child, is issued an individual visa sticker. If the child does not have an own passport and is inscribed in the parent´s passport, two visa stickers are issued into the passport of the parent.

List of Schengen Area Members States

The Schengen Area consists of the following countries (as to 1. 11. 2017):

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark (excluding Greenland and the Faroe Islands)
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France (excluding overseas departments and collectivities)
  • Germany (excluding Heligoland)
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands (excluding Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin, Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius)
  • Norway (excluding Spitsbergen)
  • Poland
  • Portugal (including the Azores and Madeira)
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain (including Balearic Islands and Canary Islands)
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

Types of Visa

Short-term Visa

Are issued for a stay in the Czech Republic / Schengen Area for up to 90 days. Are issued as:

  1. Airport transit visa (letter “A“ visa)
    • airport transit visa can be issued for one or two entries
  2. Short-term visa for stay up to 90 days (letter “C“ visa) for the purpose of:
    • tourism
    • visit (invitation)
    • culture
    • sport
    • study
    • health
    • employment and training
    • scientific research
    • business journey
    • official/political purpose

Long-term Visa

Issued for a stay in the Czech Republic for over 90 days. Authorize the holder to travel and stay in other Schengen Area States on a short-term basis (up to 90 days within any 180 days). Issued as:

  1. Visa for a stay over 90 days (letter “D” visa) for the purpose of:
    • visit (invitation)
    • entrepreneurship
    • study, internship
    • scientific research
    • family
    • sport
    • culture
    • health
    • other
  2. Long-term visa for the purpose of collecting a long-term residence permit (letter “D” visa) for the purpose of
    • employment – employee card and blue card
    • unification of family
    • study
    • scientific research
    • stay of a resident of another EU Member State
  3. Long-term visa for the purpose of collecting a permanent residence permit (letter “D” visa)

Employee Card

What is an employee card?

A new type of single permit, which authorises its holder to stay in the territory of the Czech Republic for the purpose of employment on a long-term basis and to perform work in the job, for which the card was issued. It replaces the visa for a stay of over 90 days for the purpose of employment, the permit for long-term residence for the purpose of employment and the Green Card, which will no longer be issued. Blue Cards will continue to be issued. An employee card is a plastic card with biometric features.

A foreign national who has an employee card is entitled:

  • to reside in the territory of the CR and, at the same time,
  • to work in the job for which the employee card was issued, or
  • to work in the job for which the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of the Interior granted consent (in connection with changing employer, changing job, taking up employment with an additional employer or in an additional job).

For how long a period of time is an employee card issued?

For the duration of the employment but not for longer than 2 years, with the option of repeated extension of validity.

For whom is an employee card intended?

For foreign nationals from any country in the world. But not for

  • the citizens of the Member States of the EU/EEA and Switzerland and
  • their family members from among the citizens of other countries who are holders of a residence card of a family member of a citizen of the EU/EEA and Switzerland or who applied for issuance of such a card.

For what types of employment is the card intended?

For all types of employment regardless of the level of required professional qualifications.

Where can I apply for an employee card?

You must file the written application in person at your local embassy of the Czech Republic. If you are already staying in the territory of the Czech Republic on a visa for a stay of over 90 days or on a permit for long-term residence for some other purpose, you can file the application with an office of the Ministry of the Interior.

When will I receive my employee card?

If you file an application for an employee card abroad and your application is granted, the embassy will issue a visa for a stay of over 90 days for the purpose of collecting an employee card for you. Before the visa is entered, you will be asked to submit a travel medical insurance certificate valid for the period from the date of entry into the territory of the Czech Republic to the date on which you are to acquire public medical insurance in the Czech Republic.

After your arrival to the Czech Republic, visit an office of the Ministry of the Interior for the purpose of providing the biometric data necessary for production of an employee card not later than within 3 working days. After acquisition of the biometric data, a certificate confirming compliance with the conditions for issue of an employee card will be issued to you.

Can I, as a holder of an employee card, chase employers or change to a different job?

Yes but you must file a written application for consent with such a change with an office of the Ministry of the Interior and your application must be approved.

Special Cases – Employment Permit

A foreign national who wishes to stay in the CR on a long-term basis for the purpose of employment with an employee card must apply with the relevant regional office of the Employment Agency of the CR for an employment permit only if,

  • he/she has been posted by his foreign employer based outside the territory of the EU/EEA or Switzerland to perform work in the CR (to perform tasks here arising from a contract entered into between this employer and a Czech legal entity or a Czech natural person), or
  • he/she is a seasonal employee performing work dependent on seasons of the year, employed for a period not exceeding months in a calendar year; or
  • he/she works as an intern in an employment relationship with an employer in the Czech Republic, or
  • an international agreement so provides in his/her case.

In these cases, a foreign national will apply for an employment permit for a job which is not included in the central register of job vacancies that can be filled with holders of employee cards.

An employee card can be issued for a foreign national for the period of validity of his/her employment permit. Renewal of the validity of his/her employment permit is a condition for possible renewal of the validity of his/her employee card.

After his/her arrival to the Czech Republic, a foreign national can start performing a job, if he/she has a valid employment permit and a visa for a stay of over 90 days for the purpose of collecting an employee card.

In case you are partner, member or statutory body of a business company or a cooperative and you perform tasks arising from the type of activity of this legal entity you will still need employment permit to perform this activity. However it is not possible to issue the employee card for the purpose of performance of these activities or even to prolong the validity of employee card.

If you were issued employee card for this purpose in the past you can find yourself other job different from performance of activities in a range of the business activities of your company or cooperative and apply for the consent of the Ministry of Interior with the change of employer or job position. To get employee card or a consent of the Ministry of Interior with the change of job position for the performance of tasks arising from the business activity of the company or cooperative is possible only when you are not member of such cooperative, partner or member of statutory body of such company.

Special Cases – Free Access to the Labour Market of the Czech Republic

The right of free access to the labour market of the CR is held, for example, by a foreign national who

  • acquired secondary or tertiary vocational education or tertiary vocational education at a conservatory or university education in the Czech Republic, or who
  • wishes to be employed in the Czech Republic as a pedagogice employee or an academic employee of a university or as a cleric of a church or a religious organisation registered in the Czech Republic, or who
  • has been posted to the Czech Republic by his/her foreign employer based in some other Member State of the EU/EEA or Switzerland as part of provision of services, or for whom
  • a valid international agreement so provides.

An employee card can be issued for a foreign national for the duration of contractual employment according to the submitted documents
(such as a contract of employment) but not for longer than 2 years, with the option of repeated extensit of its validity.

Where can I get more information on an employee card?

  • On the website of the Ministry of the Interior –
  • Or on the information line of the Ministry of the Interior – phone: +420 974 832 421, +420 974 832 418 (Monday–Friday; 8.00 a.m.–3.00 p.m.), e-mail:

What is a blue card

An EU Blue Card is a new residential status designed for a long-term stay involving the performance of a highly skilled job (§ 42i of the Act on the Residence of Foreign Nationals). An EU Blue Card entitles a foreign national to stay and perform a job, i.e. the foreign national does not need a separate work permit.

Duly completed university education or higher vocational education, the duration of which was at least 3 years, is deemed to be a high level of skills.

An application for an EU Blue Card is to be filed by a foreign national at a Czech embassy as well as, in selected cases, at a Ministry of the Interior office inside the Czech Republic, that is if you are already in the CR on a long-term visa or long-term residency permit, or are a holder of a Blue Card issued by another EU state and you apply within 1 month of entering the CR. You must file your application personally.

Notice: Physicians, dentists, and pharmacists who have not acquired professional qualification in another EU member state and wish to practice their medical profession in the Czech Republic must successfully complete an approbation exam The same requirement also applies to the practice of a non-medical healthcare profession.



    The South Moravian Regional Centre to Support the Integration of Foreigners
    Mezírka 1, 602 00 Brno
    +420 533 433 540


    Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic
    +420 974 832 421
    +420 974 832 418
    Monday–Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 15:00 a.m.